The Director of Service Delivery Operations will provide overall operations management of contracted clinical services across all clinical service lines in support of creating a national model for healthcare delivery for identified vulnerable populations in Travis County. Key responsibilities for this position include overseeing service delivery across active clinical service lines; strategic and operational planning related to each service portfolio (primary care, specialty care, acute care, post-acute care); overseeing operations related to the provider network; reviewing all service delivery contracts and informing contract terms; coordinating with executive leadership to define and drive value; and, interpreting data to make strategic recommendations about service operations, planning and network operations. This position will work closely with claims payment, analytics and reporting, legal, medical management, and strategy departments as well as external leadership. This position will directly supervise staff, who may include operations managers, operations coordinators, project managers, referral coordinators and/or others as assigned.
Essential Duties (at least 5 that are non-negotiable duties and are absolutely pertinent to successfully completing the job without accommodations):
• Coordinate with Executive leadership to define strategic vision, specific objectives and clear scope for each service portfolio and service line and translate that information into actionable and measurable plans to deliver value
• Actively participate in organizational or Central Health Enterprise strategic, operational or financial planning activities and lead where appropriate.
• Provide direction to the Service Delivery Operations team and serve as an escalation point for day-to-day issue resolution for ongoing clinical service projects and operational activities
• Proactively identify, assess and prioritize opportunities for organizational and service delivery improvements and appropriately address or escalate risks
• Oversee CCC Project Management Office, including continually evolving processes and standards to meet best practices and ensuring adherence to project management principles, tools and techniques
• Lead process and team to define, assess and drive service delivery value relative to multiple dimensions of care (e.g. quality, cost and patient experience).
• Oversee provider network operations development and maintenance, including but not limited to coordination with other CCC departments to ensure development and monitoring of CCC’s provider network inventory and matrix of services, assess network performance, identify network gaps and opportunities, and build awareness about the CCC provider network.
• Work cross-functionally and collaboratively with other department leaders to inform development of standardized, timely and accurate service delivery dashboards that align to focused objectives and facilitate business decisions
• Use superior analytical and problem solving skills to make strategic, data-driven recommendations about service delivery operations, reporting and network development
• Conduct reviews of all service delivery contracts before execution to inform contract terms to optimize opportunity to deliver services efficiently and effectively and to minimize organizational risk
• Oversee management of contractor performance, auditing, quality reviews, current month and year-to-date levels of service and associated costs
• Identify opportunities for coordination across departments, clinical service lines and new initiatives, and collaborate with others to effectively improve service delivery outcomes, reduce waste and lower costs
• Manage and continually improve the operational and fiscal activities of the department to include staffing levels, budget management, process infrastructure, and financial and operating goals and plans
• Other duties as assigned
• Excellent leadership and management skills with a demonstrated ability to implement and sustain a high volume of large-scale and complex clinical initiatives while maintaining or improving quality
• Demonstrated knowledge of clinical operations, access to care and demand management across various service lines and settings, including primary care, specialty care, acute care and post-acute care
• Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and implement clinical programs and services across various service lines and settings that prioritize the needs of the patient first
• Ability to use existing primary care, specialty care, acute care and post-acute care knowledge to think critically and drive value at a system, service line and project level
• Excellent ability to quickly make sound decisions with minimal supervision and low context, escalating issues and risks as needed to meet strategic objectives
• Expert ability to create structure and process in an ambiguous environment (incl. related to department objectives, service delivery goals and resolution of operational issues) while also allowing for flexibility where structure impedes work
• Expert ability to translate high-level vision into actionable short- and long-term objectives, create incremental milestones, work with others to ensure progress, and overcome obstacles or distractions under minimal guidance.
• Demonstrated ability to develop focused executive level reports and succinct but informative presentations with short turnaround times
• Advanced project management skills, including to develop and manage scope, schedule and budget for multiple complex programs or services using structured processes, tools and techniques
• Excellent ability to describe and advocate for project management principles, the role and value of project management, phases of the project lifecycle, and the differences between project management and operations
• Excellent understanding of healthcare service delivery processes, operations principles, service line management and provider network development
• Demonstrated understanding of how to assess and create value in a healthcare setting, in particular with respect to healthcare quality, cost and experience
• Advanced knowledge of principles and processes involved in healthcare planning and administration, including strategic planning, internal and external communications and healthcare services for underserved populations
• Familiarity with common barriers to care for the safety net population and social determinants of health
People Management/Department Management/Business Unit Management:
• Ability to coach and encourage critical, innovative and data-driven thinking
• Ability to tactfully receive and provide differing opinions to/from colleagues at all levels to support innovative thinking and decision-making that considers multiple perspectives and drives work forward toward established goals
• Hire and supervise staff, including by providing orientation, training, mentorship, career development advice, coaching, performance feedback and disciplinary action
• Familiarity with human resources policies and ability to remain neutral when addressing human resources issues
• Ability to continually and proactively monitor staff workload allocation, assess departmental structure, and strategically advocate for necessary changes to optimize productivity and minimize variability in work quality
• Ability to develop credibility, establish rapport and maintain communication with stakeholders at multiple levels, including those internal and external to the organization in order to activate people to achieve meaningful results
• Personal presence and ability to clearly communicate compelling messages to senior leaders, board members and external business partners
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree
PREFERRED EDUCATION: Master’s degree
• 5 years of related work experience with a Bachelor’s degree, or
• 3 years of related work experience with a Master’s degree, and
• Demonstrated work experience with related responsibilities.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Experience managing clinical services initiatives and ongoing operations in an administrative and clinical capacity across multiple service lines. Experience using analytical skills to make strategic, data-driven recommendations with broad impact. Experience managing teams >10 people and working in a matrixed reporting structure.
PREFERRED CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSURE: Project Management Professional (PMP) or Program Management Professional (PgMP) and any clinical licensure