Under general direction, administers the organization’s purchasing/procurement function to comply with policies and applicable State and Federal rules and regulations including direct supervision of staff. Procures equipment, supplies and services at the best price possible including assigned commodities and services below $5,000 bid limit requirements. Prepares bids and solicitations within established purchasing procedures and applicable laws, reviews departmental requests, communicates with vendors, examines price, suitability, and availability of items or services.
• Manages and coordinates the planning, development and award of simple to complex solicitations and contract awards including formulating and proposing the development of terms, conditions, scopes of work and specifications, designing, recommending and implementing evaluation tools and formats, overseeing the evaluation process, negotiating final prices and terms, recommending awards based on results of the evaluation process, and with legal support as appropriate, coordinating the development of contracts.
• Prepares purchase orders, solicits bid proposals and reviews requisitions for goods and services purchased.
• Research, interview and negotiate with suppliers to obtain prices and specifications.
• Places orders against existing contracts or approved requisitions. Creates purchase orders for the acquisition of materials and services and processes all paperwork necessary.
• Verifies bills and invoices against bids and purchase orders and approves for payment.
• Tracks and disposes of surplus property according to established procedures.
• Prepares formal solicitations by gathering usage requirements, preparing electronic requisition and related bid documents.
• Prepares Invitations for Bids and posts public notices as applicable.
• Coordinates and manages pre-bid conferences with vendors
• Provides information and assistance to staff regarding purchasing procedures, purchase order/bid status updates and contract status.
• Compiles data for, and prepares Contract, Procurement and HUB Utilization reports for Executive Management and the Board of Managers.
• Implements records management practices for assigned area(s) according to policy and procedure and maintains assigned files and records.
• Creates, manages and maintains contract documentation including reviewing for conformity to negotiated rates, rules and regulations.
• Administers the Procurement Card Program by providing direct support to the credit card holders.
• Hires and supervises staff in accordance with personnel policies and procedures including orientation and training, providing career development advice, establishing employee goals, conducting performance reviews, coaching, counseling and disciplining staff and recommending terminations if needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of public sector purchasing
• Evaluating bids and proposals;
• Thinking critically using logic and analysis to identify strengths and weaknesses of different approaches
• Utilizing computer-based purchasing applications (Bid Sync);
• Researching equipment, vendors and other information as relates to purchasing
• Listening to internal and external customers and ascertaining appropriate information;
• Effectively communicating information and ideas verbally, and in writing;
• Organization and time management;
• Developing approaches for implementing ideas.
• Develop complex solicitation documents to procure necessary goods and services;
• Correctly follow established statutes, rules, processes and procedures;
• Manage a heavy workload and meet deadlines, as required;
• Evaluate contracts and recommend future status;
• Pay attention to details.
People Management/Department Management/Business Unit Management:
• Directs Purchasing Agent
• High level of skill at building relationships and providing excellent customer service.
• High level of problem solving skill to better serve external customers and internal staff.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to implement and evaluate administrative processes.
• Ability to supervise a staff.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five years of Purchasing experience, to include development and review of specifications, development and review of scopes of work, identification and selection of procurement methods, the issuance of purchase orders against existing cooperative or company group purchasing contracts, the verification of the inspection of merchandise or receipt of services by the company , identification and preparation of evaluation criteria, preparation and advertising of solicitation documents, tabulation of respondent bids, evaluation of respondent proposals, negotiation of proposals, and the preparation and completion of contract award documents.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: At least three (3 ) years of supervisory experience.